48th Wedding Anniversary
The 48th wedding anniversary is a significant milestone that celebrates the enduring love and commitment between a married couple. Traditionally, this anniversary is known as the "Amethyst Anniversary," and the gemstone associated with it is the amethyst.
Some sources also suggest optical goods as a modern gift idea.
For the extra special touch, choose a handmade anniversary gift from the skilled artisans who sell on Amazon. You get a unique item created with passion, with the same convenient buying experience of Amazon. Browse now
Modern Gift: Optical Goods
Some people have suggested that optical goods is a modern 48th wedding anniversary present.
Gifts may include:
- Eyeglasses: A new pair of eyeglasses can be a practical and stylish gift for someone who wears glasses. Consider choosing frames that match their style and personality.
- Sunglasses: A high-quality pair of sunglasses can protect the eyes from harmful UV rays and make a fashion statement. Look for sunglasses with polarized lenses for added protection.
- Reading glasses: For someone who needs help with reading small print, a stylish pair of reading glasses can be a useful and thoughtful gift.
- Eye masks: For someone who has trouble sleeping, an eye mask can block out light and help them get a better night's rest.
- Lens cleaning kit: A lens cleaning kit can help keep eyeglasses or sunglasses clean and in good condition.
- Blue light blocking glasses: If the recipient spends a lot of time looking at screens, such as a computer or smartphone, blue light blocking glasses can help reduce eye strain and fatigue.
- Binoculars: a great gift for someone interested in nature and birdwatching.
- Telescope: for those with a keen interest in astronomy.
Contact lenses: If the recipient wears contact lenses, consider gifting them a year's supply or a gift card to purchase more.
Make the gift extra special by choosing from handmade artisan jewelry, with the same convenience of Amazon online shopping.
Associated Gemstone: Amethyst
Amethyst is said to promote calm, balance and peace, as well as eliminating impatience. Of course, it's up to you whether you believe it has these properties, but regardless of this, there's little denying amethyst is a very attractive purple or violet quartz crystal.
Amethyst is the birthstone for February; perhaps something to consider if the dates fall this way.
It comes in a range of colours from a light pinkish violet all the way through to a deep purple, sometimes with secondary hues of red or blue.
It was used as a gemstone by the ancient Egyptians, and the Greeks believed drinking vessels made from amethyst could protect against intoxication. A belief that the semiprecious stone promotes healing and cool-headedness led to mediaeval European soldiers wearing an amethyst amulet, while Anglican bishops may wear an episcopal ring set with an amethyst.
Tibetans consider amethyst sacred to the Buddha and make prayer beads from it, and the quartz stone was a sign of royalty in the Middle Ages, used to decorate English regalia.
Amethyst is the official state gemstone of South Carolina.
The monetary value of amethyst dropped significantly in the 18th century when large deposits of it were found in Brazil. The colour now determines the rarity and hence potential desirability of the stone. That said, amethyst is a beautiful gemstone and any piece of jewelry set with it is sure to be appreciated.
Associated Flower: None
There is no official flower for the 48th anniversary but the color purple is often associated with it, so any purple flower could be a suitable choice for a gift.
Some popular purple flowers that could be given as a gift include:
- Lavender: Lavender is a fragrant and versatile flower that symbolizes devotion and serenity. It is often used in aromatherapy and can be made into sachets or other fragrant gifts.
- Lilac: Lilacs are delicate and sweet-smelling flowers that symbolize youthful innocence and first love. They bloom in the spring and are often associated with new beginnings.
- Iris: Irises are striking and elegant flowers that come in many shades of purple. They symbolize wisdom and faith and are often given as a symbol of respect or admiration.
- Hyacinth: Hyacinths are fragrant and colorful flowers that bloom in the spring. They symbolize sincerity and can be given as a gift to express deep feelings of love and appreciation.